Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Eight Half Square Triangles at Once Tutorial

Since I will be doing a quilt along that is made up of half square triangle units I wanted to share a couple of different ways to create them and you guys can pick what works for you. This week I am demonstrating the eight half square triangles at once method.

Here is the formula to figure out what size to cut your starting squares:

Finished HST size + 7/8 x 2 = beginning squares

Lets break that down a little. We want to start with finished size once it is all sewn into the top. Say that number needs to be 3 (hint hint) then we add 7/8 for 3 7/8 multiply that by 2 which equals 7 3/4. Instead of using 7/8 I always round up to 1 inch to make for easier math and to give myself a little wiggle room. 

1. Cut two squares to 8 inches.


2. Mark diagonal lines corner to corner.

3. Sew 1/4 inch from both lines on each side of the line.

4. Cut along the marked lines. (Make sure not to move the fabric apart)
It's bugging me that I didn't flip my ruler around...

5. Cut a vertical line and a horizontal line straight through the center.

6. Lay your HST's on your ironing board dark side up. Set the seams and roll the top fabric back and press open. Make sure to press and not iron so don't move the iron around a lot it can distort the fabric.

7. Trim HST's to 3.5 (adding a half inch to the finished size for seam allowances) by making sure the 45 degree line on your square ruler is lined up with the diagonal line in your half square triangle.

8. You're finished! See that wasn't too hard was it? Check out the pretty confetti you created too.

Stay tuned for more HST tutorials! I'm linking up with Late Night Quilter so mosey on over there and check out the other tips and tutorials everyone is sharing.

Is there a method you want me to demonstrate? Is there a block you would really love to see how it is put together? Let me know in the comments!


2 comments:

  1. I am a sucker for the 2 at once method, personally, but making 8 at once is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love being able to make 8 at once!! I find making HSTs very tedious and you've just opened my world!! So many more patterns I'm willing to make now! XX!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...